Some adventures in road and trail running.
For Running stuff click here. For Eclipse stuff click here.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Off to Find Waldo

The preparations are made and now all that is left to do is drive to the campsite, eat, sleep and then, finally, a little bit of running.

With amazing help from Stacey, along with Caroline, Dave and Rick, I have come up with a pacing and nutrition plan.

I have never gone to this much detail but then I have never run this far before.
General plan is to:

  • drink 20 ounces of water / hour
  • take 200 mg of electrolytes / hour (S caps, Clif bloks, etc.)
  • take in 280-300 calories / hour
  • 1/2 a banana at each aid station
  • get some protein in for the later stages
The nice thing is that with my watch beeping at me every 20 minutes to take in a gel (about 100 calories) I should actually remember to fuel. To properly digest the gel, I will need to take a good swig of water.
I will start out fueling on a gel every 30 minutes and then move to every 20 minutes after the first 1.5 to 2 hours.
The REI guy really wondered why anyone would need so many gels!

I will be carrying my own little pharmacy to deal with pain and stomach issues..oh joy!

I also plan to make use of Trisha's trusty shuffle to have about 2 hours of tunes to keep me moving. This is something new for me in a race.

My goal time is 13 hours. Patience is needed to not start to fast!
The weather is looking great with only a high of 70 degrees.

We are driving up tonight to the Odell Lake campground and I am looking forward to just relaxing and reviewing the race plan tomorrow.

All that is left to do now is run :-)

2 comments:

vswanson said...

Wow! You seem to be well prepared! I am so privileged to be able to be proud of you as you continue to do well - you have an excellent support community to provide motivation and feedback - good for you - wish you every success and much satisfaction!!

Much Love, Dad

Olga said...

13 hrs? C'mon, I am looking for a good 11 (may be some change on it). With this fueling plan and avoiding any nasty stuff you are capable of running this course (remember, it's shortened). I will see you guys there:)